Friday, September 24, 2010

The True Meaning of Blogging



I know the title may imply that this is going to be another deep, metaphysical post like the last one involving complex concepts only higher lifeforms can grasp, and I try not to disappoint. But I will this time, not so much because I like surprises but because I just ate a large sandwich and am stuffed.

What does it mean to have a "blog?" Look it up in the dictionary, preferably one post-2000. A "blog" is short for "web log." But whoever coined the term was very smart, because we've all been led to believe that this is the real meaning.
In fact, I'm positive they realized the other true definition of blog and didn't want it leaked to the general public (after all, an idea is like a virus). Since this definition has most likely been eradicated from every dictionary due to its controversial nature and potential for sinking the blogging industry forever, I'll give it to you.

"Blog" is short for "backlog."

Speaking of which, I realize I've left out entire parts of what I've been up to for the past two weeks, parts which I will relate presently.

September 11: Following our hike up Mt. Sinai, the real mushkila was getting down. Hiking on a mountain is much easier if you can't see how far you have to go.

September 12: To complete the weekend of sunrises, we woke up at 4am and took cabs into Dahab to rent ATVs. (They're like AT-ATs, but faster and without legs that can get tangled.) Closer to a Mongoose from Halo than anything from Star Wars. We had some nice guides who helpfully dropped us off at a valley and told us to climb the nearest mountain (about 200 feet tall with no clear way up), where "maybe we see the sunrise" in about fifteen minutes. We had in fact woken up this early to see the sunrise, so we demanded to be taken back to the main road.





After the sunrise, we started our engines and took off through the dunes toward the sea. I was relieved there was no Lakitu cloud guy to pick me up and put me back on the road, but we did have one Mario Kart-like incident.

Before:


And the explanation:


Basically Ihsaan's helmet flew off his cart and hit Aakib in the leg, who was driving behind him. Those blue shells are real annoying.



It was finally time to say goodbye to Tropitel. Wonderful memories, I'll never forget your propensity for creating the opposite of what a good vacation should be, minus the free breakfasts.

The second week of class started and finished much the same as the first, which is to say half of us were still madly dropping and adding classes up until the 4pm deadline last Thursday. This is where at a certain point you just have to say khalas, done, finished, be happy. If you don't, combined with AUC's penchant for overcomplicating the simplest procedures, you will go insane, make no doubt about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment